- Aegean Cat [Full Breed Guide for This Rare Greek Beauty]
- American Curl: Personality, Orgins, Care, Photos, & Much More
- American Shorthair: Complete Guide to the All-American Cat [Care & More]
- Arabian Mau Cat Breed [Full Guide: History, Nutrition, Care, and More]
- Bambino Cat: A Miniature Hairless Breed You Must Meet [FAQ Guide]
- Bengal Cat Breed 101: Your Comprehensive Guide
- Birman Cat Breed Guide: The Beautiful, Fluffy & Friendly Feline You Need
- Bombay Cat: The Mini Panther (Fact List & Care Guide)
- British Shorthair Cat Breed [The Comprehensive Owner’s Guide]
- Cornish Rex Cat Breed: History, Temperament, & Care [Full Guide]
- Devon Rex Cat: A Playful Feline With Unique Looks & Charm
- Dwelf Cat Breed: The Small, Bald, & Beautiful Feline Guide
- Exotic Shorthair Cat Breed [Complete Guide & Information]
- Japanese Bobtail Cat: The Essential Guide to This Royal Breed
- Kurilian Bobtail: Important Traits, Nutrition, & Care Tips [UPDATED 2021]
- Large Cat Breeds: The 10 Biggest Felines in the World
- Longest Living Cat Breeds: A Guide to Felines with Nine Lives
- Maine Coon Cat: The Fluffy, Large & Lovable Feline Guide
- Manx Cat Breed: A Tell-All About a Tail-Free Feline
- Most Expensive Cat Breeds in the World: Top 8 Costly Cats ?
- Munchkin Cat Breed [Full Guide]
- Nebelung Cat: A Bold & Beautiful Feline You WON’T Forget
- Norwegian Forest Cat: A Deeper Understanding of the Folk Tale Legend
- Ocicat Cat Breed Guide: A Wild Looking, Tame & Sociable Feline
- Oriental Shorthair Cat Breed [Full Breed Guide & History]
- Peterbald Cat: The Bald & Beautiful Breed [Complete Guide]
- Pixie-Bob Cat Breed: Personality, History, FAQ, Photos, & More
- Ragamuffin Cat: The Fluffiest & Friendliest Feline [Complete Guide]
- Ragdoll Cat: The #1 Furry & Floppy Breed Guide
- Savannah Cat Breed [The Ultimate Feline Guide]
- Scottish Fold: The Floppy Eared Feline Fact List
- Singapura Cat Breed: 10 Large Facts About the Tiniest Cats
- Snowshoe Cat: 14 Must-Know Facts About This Charming Breed
- Somali Cat: Personality, History, and Care [Ultimate Feline Guide]
- Sphynx Cat Breed: An Owner’s Guide To The Furless Phenom
- Tonkinese Cat: The Ultimate Guide for the Most Playful Feline
- Toyger Cat 101: Understanding Your “Toy Tiger”
- Turkish Van Cat Guide: The Feisty Feline That Loves To Swim!
- 5 Simple Tips to Stop Cats from Scratching Furniture
- 8 Ways To Give Your Cat CBD Oil [Tips & Tricks]
- Best Cat Toys: How To Boost Stimulation & Activity
- Best CBD Oil For Cats: Give Your Feline the Finest CBD
- Can Cats Get High off CBD, Hemp, or Marijuana? Avoid a Vet Trip With This Guide
- Cat Dental Care: The Complete Oral Hygiene Guide for Felines
- Cat Exercise: Different Ways to Play With Your Cat
- Cat Joint Care: Helpful Tips to Promote Healthy Joints & Ease Tension
- Cat Losing Weight? Find Out Why & What You Can Do
- Cat Skin Conditions: 5 Common Issues & Helpful Home Remedies
- Catnip: Top Uses & Benefits You Need to KNOW
- Declawing Cats: Is it Worth it? Experts Review
- Do Cats Fart? YES! Here Are the Best Home Remedies
- Do Cats Get Lonely? Yes, Learn To Keep A Lonely Cat Occupied & Happy
- Does CBD Oil Need to Be Refrigerated? The Truth Benefits Cold Storage
- How Long Can a Cat Go Without Eating? Feline Feeding Tips [Inside]
- How Long Can You Leave Your Cat Alone? [Not as Long as You Think]
- How to Bathe a Cat: 6 Tips for a Safe, Scratch-Free Bath
- How to Clip a Cat’s Nails: 8 Easy Steps for a Stress-Free Manicure
- How To Introduce a Cat to a Dog: Tips To Prevent Any Tense Situations
- How to Introduce Cats: Successful Methods & What Not to Do
- How to Tell if a Cat is in Pain: Tips for Concerned Owners
- How to Travel with a Cat on a Plane: 12 Simple Tips for Stress Free Travels
- How to Travel With a Cat: 8 Ways to Keep Cats Calm While Traveling
- Hypoallergenic Cats [Non Shedding Breeds & Low Shedding Breeds]
- Is It Cruel To Keep a Cat Indoors or Are They Better off Outside?
- Is My Cat Depressed? [Subtle Signs & Prevention Tips]
- Moving With a Cat: 10 Tips to Relocate with Less Stress
- Separation Anxiety in Cats: The Signs and Symptoms to Look Out For
- What Can I Give My Cat For Pain Relief?
- Why Do Cats Hiss? [6 Reasons For The Bad Cattitude]
- Why Do Cats Like Boxes? Find Out The Top 4 Answers HERE!
- Why Do Cats Like Catnip? #1 REASON Why Cats Can’t Resist
- Why Do Cats Purr? Is It a Good Sign Or Should I Be Worried?
- Why Does My Cat Follow Me Everywhere? [Top 5 Reasons & Prevention Tips]
- Why Does My Cat Have Diarrhea & How Can I Prevent It?
- Why Is My Cat Coughing? [Identifying Causes & When to Be Concerned]
- Why Is My Cat Drooling? [Normal vs Excessive Drool]
- Why Is My Cat Growling? How To Calm Them & When To Seek Help
- Why Is My Cat Losing Hair? [Hair Loss vs Shedding]
- Why Is My Cat Not Eating? 8 Concerning Reasons Revealed!
- Why Is My Cat Panting? See What It Means & Learn What To Do
- Why Is My Cat Sneezing? [Normal vs Problematic]
- Why Is My Cat Throwing Up & How Do I Stop It? Find Out NOW!
- Why is My Cat Yowling? Understand Your Cat Right Meow!
- Can Cats Drink Milk? No! Try These Feline Friendly Milk Substitutes
- Can Cats Eat Dog Food? [Once vs. Often]
- Cat Food Ingredients [Distinguishing Quality]
- Is There a Natural Cat Appetite Stimulant? [And Does It Work?]
- Omega 3 for Cats ? 4 Ways To Give Your Feline This Essential Nutrient
- Salmon Oil For Cats: Utilizing The Benefits Of Omega Fatty Acids
- Wet vs Dry Cat Food – Why it Matters & What to Look For
- Affenpinscher Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide 2021]
- Afghan Hound Dog Breed: Personality and Care [2021 Guide]
- American Akita Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Owners Guide]
- American Bulldog Breed: Complete Temperament & Personality Guide
- Australian Shepherd Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Australian Terrier: Temperament, History, Care, & More
- Basset Hound Dog Breed: Complete Temperament & Personality Guide
- Best Service Dog Breeds for Anxiety
- Border Collie: Complete Temperament & Personality Guide
- Bouvier des Flandres: Complete Breed Information [Pictures & More!]
- Boxer Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Brussels Griffon: #1 Dog Breed Temperament & Personality Guide
- Bullmastiff Dog Breed: Big Facts About One of the Largest Canines
- Cairn Terrier Dog Breed [#1 Source] Temperament & Personality Guide
- Chihuahua Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Chinese Crested Dog: A Bizarre Beauty [Complete Breed Information]
- Dutch Shepherd Dog Breed Guide: Rare, Talented, and Loyal
- English Pointer: Guide to the Top Game Hunter [Personality, Care, & More]
- German Spitz Dog Breed Temperament, Personality, & FAQ Guide
- Golden Retriever Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Greyhound Dog Breed: #1 Temperament & Personality Guide ?
- Italian Greyhound Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Japanese Chin: Top Dog Breed Temperament & Personality Guide
- Kuvasz Dog: Temperament, Care, History & More
- Lakeland Terrier: The English Explorer You Must Meet [Breed Guide]
- Large Dog Breeds [You’ll Never Guess Which One’s Biggest!]
- Lhasa Apso: Dog Breed Temperament, Personality, & FAQ Guide
- Maltese Dog Breed Temperament & Personality: The Majestic Canine Guide
- Miniature Pinscher Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Most Expensive Dog Breeds: The Top 10 Priciest Pups
- Neapolitan Mastiff: A Guide to The Large & Lovable Dog Breed
- Norfolk Terrier Dog Breed Temperament, Care, & Personality Guide
- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever: The Complete Owner’s Guide
- Papillon: Your Guide the Pup of Royalty [Temperament, Care, & More]
- Pomeranian Dog Breed Personality & Temperament [Full Guide]
- Pug Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Rat Terrier Dog Breed Temperament & Personality [Full Guide]
- Rottweiler Dog Breed Temperament & Personality: The Ultimate Guard Dog Guide
- Small Dog Breeds 101: An Enormous Guide About Bite Sized Pups
- Swedish Vallhund Dog Breed [Nutrition, Exercise, History, and MORE]
- Welsh Terrier Dog Breed: Temperament, Personality, & FAQs Explained
- What Is the Healthiest Dog Breed? [Top 12 List]
- Best Dog Shampoo For Sensitive Skin: 4 K9-Approved Suds We Love!
- Best Dog Shampoo for Shedding: Reduce Heavy Shedding FAST
- Best Natural Pet Products & Gifts For Dog Lovers
- Can Dogs Get High From CBD? Potential Side Effects of CBD for Dogs
- Can Humans Take Pet CBD Oil?
- Can I Give My Dog Human CBD Oil? [Know The Difference]
- Do Dogs Cry? YES, But Not Like Humans. Find Out Why Here!
- Do Dogs Grieve? How to Help Your Pet Cope With a Loss
- Dog Hiding: Why They Do It and When to Be Concerned
- Dog Joint Health: 10 Tips to Promote Joint Mobility & Ease Tension
- Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: Help Your Pet Find Peace With These Tips
- Dog Skin Care: Why It’s Important and What You Can Do
- Dog Won’t Sleep at Night? Here’s What You Need to Do NOW
- Endocannabinoid System In Dogs & Cats Explained
- Expert Tips for Ensuring Your Dog Walks Are Trouble-Free
- Find CBD Dog Treats Near Me [The Complete Guide]
- Find Pet CBD Near Me – 2021 – Quality CBD for Dogs, Cats & Horses
- Hemp for Dogs – Everything You Need to Know
- Hemp Oil vs CBD Oil for Dogs: See Which One Works Best!
- How Long Can a Dog Go Without Eating? When to Step in & What to Do
- How Much Exercise Does a Dog Need Every Day? [All Breeds & Ages]
- How To Bathe a Dog: A Step-by-Step Guide For Responsible Owners
- How to Calm a Hyper Dog [5 Natural & Effective Methods]
- How to Calm an Over Excited Dog NOW Using These 7 Simple Techniques
- How to Get a Dog to Drink Water: 5 Simple Tips to Help Hydrate Your Pup
- How to Get a Dog to Take a Pill Without the Hassle
- How to Get Dog Hair Out of Carpet: 5 Life Changing Hacks
- How To Give Your Dog CBD Oil [Picky Eater Edition]
- How to Help a Dog With Separation Anxiety
- How to Socialize a Dog No Matter the Age, Breed, or Aggression Level
- How to Socialize a Nervous Dog: 10 Easy Tips to Train a Confident Canine
- How to Socialize a Puppy: 10 Safe & Simple Tips for New Owners
- How to Socialize an Aggressive Dog: #1 Guide with Proven Tips and Tricks
- How to Stop Dog Barking When Left Alone [CBD Can Help]
- Introducing Dogs: 9 Proven Methods That Work With All Breeds
- Is Catnip Bad for Dogs? [The Answer May Surprise You!]
- Is My Dog Depressed? How to Easily Identify & Cheer Up A Sad Dog
- Is My Dog Having a Heat Stroke? [4 Revealing Signs]
- Melatonin for Dogs [More Than Just a Sleep Aid!]
- Mental Stimulation For Dogs: Why It’s Important & Best Activities Explained
- Natural Supplements for Dogs [Top 10 for Joint Care, Digestion, and More]
- Potential Side Effects of CBD for Dogs and Cats
- Scared Dog: How to Easily Identify & Calm Any Nervous Canine
- Shiny Dog Coat: The Best Tips To Achieve Gorgeous, Healthy Fur
- Socializing an Older Dog [What to Do and Common Mistakes to Avoid]
- The Best Hypoallergenic Dogs for People with Allergies
- Using CBD Oil For Dog Seizures [What You Should Know]
- What Can I Give My Dog for Fireworks Anxiety?
- What to Expect After Dog Teeth Cleaning [Costs & Aftercare Explained]
- Why Do Dogs Eat Grass? Normal vs Obsessive Behavior [Prevention Tips]
- Why Does My Dog Follow Me Everywhere? [Reasons & Training Tips]
- Why is My Dog Growling? See What’s Playful & What’s Aggressive
- Why is My Dog Limping? [Evaluation Guide]
- Why Is My Dog Not Eating? [How To Help]
- Why Is My Dog Panting? [Possible Reasons]
- Why Is My Dog Shaking? [When to Be Concerned]
- Why is My Dog Sneezing and When Should I Be Concerned?
- Why Is My Dog So Itchy? Top 8 Reasons for Compulsive Itching
- Why Is My Dog Wheezing and What Can I Do to Help?
- Can Dogs Eat Apples? Benefits and Risks Explained
- Can Dogs Eat Cinnamon? Yes, See How It Can Benefit Them Here
- Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter? Yes, But You Need to Avoid THIS Ingredient
- Can Dogs Eat Pumpkin? Yes, But You NEED to Read This First!
- Can Dogs Eat Sweet Potato? Yes, But It Can’t Be Raw [Here’s Why]
- Can Dogs Eat Watermelon? Yes, But Take These Precautions First!
- CBD Dog Treat Recipe: Simple DIY Step-by-Step Guide
- Cosequin for Dogs 101 [Supplement Guide]
- Good & Bad Dog Food Ingredients: Knowing is Caring
- Healthy Dog Treats: The Best & Worst Ingredients To Look For
- How to Get a Dog to Gain Weight in 6 Safe and Easy Steps
- Is Cat Food Bad for Dogs? [Safe to Eat?]
- L-Theanine for Dogs [Supplement Guide]
- Omega 3 For Dogs: “Good” vs. “Bad” Fat EXPLAINED
- Organic Dog Food vs Non-Organic [In Depth Comparison]
- The 5 Best Superfoods For Your Dog’s Diet
- The Impressive Power of Boswellia for Dogs [It Might Help Your Dog]
- The Surprising Benefits of Chamomile for Dogs [Supplement Guide]
- Turmeric for Dogs: Benefits Explained – Vet Approved Supplement Guide
- Why Blueberries Are Extremely Important for Dogs
- Why Flaxseed Is Extremely Important for Dogs [Detailed Nutrition Guide]
Home Remedies For Cats
- 4 Helpful Remedies: How to Naturally Stop Cat Diarrhea
- Best Home Remedies for Your Cat’s Itchy Skin [Step by Step]
- Cat Constipation: Common Signs, Remedies & Prevention Tips
- Cat Dandruff: Identifying The Causes & Best Treatment Solutions
- Cat Ear Infection Home Remedies [Real Results]
- Cat Eye Infection Home Remedies [6 Easy & Simple Solutions]
- Cat Hairball Home Remedies [Top 12 Tips]
- Cat Stress: Warning Signs & Easy Remedies Revealed
- CBD For Cat Anxiety – How To Calm With Cannabidiol
- Dog Bladder Infection Home Remedy List
- Home Remedies for Cat Scabs: 7 Easy Methods You Can Do Yourself
- Home Remedies for Dry Skin on Cats [Effective Results]
- Home Remedies for Fleas on Cats [Helpful Tips Inside!]
- Home Treatment for Cat Hair Loss [Top 4 Effective Methods]
- How to Boost Your Cat’s Immune System [Start Today]
- How to Calm an Aggressive Cat [8 Easy Tips]
- Scared Cat: 4 Simple Ways To Comfort Any Frightened Feline
- The Best Home Remedies for Ear Mites in Cats [Easy Tips]
- The Best Home Remedies for Mange in Cats [6 Effective Methods]
- What is the Best Home Remedy for Bad Breath in Cats?
- What’s The Best Holistic Treatment For Triaditis in Cats?
Home Remedies For Dogs
- Best Home Remedies for Dog Mange [Full Treatment Guide]
- CBD Oil & Galliprant For Dogs With Arthritis
- CBD Oil and Phenobarbital for Dog Seizures Explained
- Cure Your Dog’s Itchy Paws With Natural Remedies
- Dog Aggression – How To Calm with Cannabidiol
- Dog Bad Breath Home Remedies [The Guide to Fresh Breath]
- Dog Bloated Stomach Home Remedies [Tips & Prevention Guide]
- Dog Dandruff: What Causes It and How to Stop It NOW!
- Dog Diarrhea Home Remedies [Best Tips for Prevention]
- Dog Eye Discharge Home Remedies [Home Care Guide]
- Dog Hair Loss Home Remedies [The Complete Guide]
- Dog Hot Spot Home Remedy: 9 Easy Remedies & Treatments
- Dog Immune System Booster [Natural Remedies]
- Dog Ringworm Treatment Home Remedies [Easy Tips Inside!]
- Dog Shedding: How to Stop it & Keep the “Fur” Out of Furniture
- Dog Social Anxiety: How to End Social Phobias for Good
- Dog Staph Infection Home Remedies [Actionable Tips]
- Home Remedies For Dog Constipation
- Home Remedies for Fleas on Dogs [Proven Methods]
- Home Remedies for Spider Bite on Dogs
- Home Remedies for Tooth Decay in Dogs [Actionable Tips]
- Home Remedy for Dog Ear Infection: 6 Best Soothing Solutions
- How to Stop a Dog From Chewing Everything You Own! 5 Easy Solutions
- How to Treat Dog Dermatitis at Home: Vet Approved Remedies
- Nervous Dog – Natural Calming Remedies
- The Best Dog Itchy Skin Home Remedy – Full List
- The Best Dog Yeast Infection Home Remedy Guide [Safe & Effective]
- The Best Home Remedy for Your Dog’s Ear Mites [Olive Oil & More!]
- The Best Natural Dog Hives Remedies [Vet Approved Remedy Guide]
- What Can I Put on My Dog For Dry Skin? 6 Powerful Hydrating Solutions
- Akhal-Teke: Complete Breed Profile [Facts & More]
- American Paint Horse Breed Guide [Top Equestrian Tips!]
- American Quarter Horse: Racehorse of the U.S. [Breed Information]
- American Saddlebred: The Historic & Nationally Iconic Breed
- Andalusian Horse Breed Guide [The Best Dressage Horse in the World?]
- Appaloosa Horse Breed: The Beautiful, Intelligent & Lovable Equine
- Arabian Horse: Complete Breed Guide [Temperament, Care, & More]
- Brabant Horse: The Ultimate Guide to the Most Popular Draft Horse
- Clydesdale Horse: History, Care, Facts, Photos, & More
- Falabella Horse: The Pint-Sized Pet! [Personality, FAQs, & More]
- Friesian Horse: Facts, Care, History, and MORE
- Gypsy Vanner Horse: 12 Revealing Facts About This Mystical Breed
- Haflinger Horse: Full Breed Profile [History, Temperament, & Pics]
- Icelandic Horse: The Pure and Powerful Viking Steed
- Marwari Horse: The Pride of India [Full Profile]
- Miniature Horse: The Small Horse With Big Personality
- Missouri Fox Trotter Horse Breed [Personality, Care & Facts]
- Morgan Horse: The Ultimate Guide to an Iconic Breed
- Mustang Horse: Icon of the American Wild West [Ultimate Breed Guide]
- Shire Horse Breed: A Workhorse Favored By Royalty
- Standardbred Horse Breed: The Competitive Horse Guide
- Suffolk Punch Horse: The Ultimate Draft Breed Guide
- Tennessee Walking Horse: A Modern Study of the All-American Walker
- Trakehner Horse: Full Breed Profile [Personality, Photos, & FAQ]
- Best Home Remedies for Horse Colic [Full List]
- Depressed Horse: 5 Easy Tips to Fight and Prevent Equine Depression
- How Do Horses Sleep? The Truth About Equine Sleep Habits
- MSM For Horses [Benefits, Dosages, & Feeding Suggestions]
- Scared Horse: A Simple Guide to Reduce Equine Fears & Phobias
- Taming an Aggressive Horse [Symptoms & Calming Remedies]
- What Do Horses Eat? Top Feeding Guide for Healthy Horses
- Why Do Horses Need Shoes? Exploring the Pros & Cons of Horseshoes
Man’s best friend, loyal companions, trusted confidants. Dogs are a hugely meaningful aspect of millions of people’s lives around the world. Follow along with us to learn more about the official dog holidays that let us celebrate our four-legged friends!
Are There Holidays for Dogs?
Yes! There are many quirky, fun, unusual, and even sobering pet holidays throughout the year; some last for a day, others for a week, and certain holidays can be celebrated all month long.
There are so many dog holidays that if you randomly chose a day out of the year, there’s a high likelihood a canine celebration would be scheduled. From National Puppy Day to K-9 Veterans Day, there are numerous ways to celebrate and focus on our favorite furry friends.
How Many Dog Holidays Are There?
There are approximately 153 holidays throughout the year devoted solely to dogs. That number doesn’t include international pet holidays, which celebrate other animals in addition to dogs. We’ll cover holidays that recognize both dogs and pets in general, though our focus will be on pooches.
Why Do People Celebrate Dogs?
People around the world celebrate dogs for countless reasons. Working dogs like seeing-eye dogs or livestock herders play a valuable role in many people’s lives. Puppies teach responsibility to young children. Police dogs train tirelessly to help keep our communities safe.
Research has even suggested that interacting with dogs is good for our physical and mental health. We certainly believe that’s worth celebrating! Dogs are so loving and beneficial to our mental well-being that it’s only fair we take time to thank them.
Important Dog Holidays
All pet holidays are unique and important to different people for various reasons. There are enough pet holidays to celebrate just about every day of the year. Some of the following holidays even overlap (for example, Chip Your Pet Month and National Pet First Aid Awareness Month both take place in April), so your dog gets twice the celebration!
Month-Long Pet Holidays
National Walk Your Dog Month
National Walk Your Dog Month emphasizes responsible dog walking habits, including proper canine gear for colder weather. The Association of Pet Obesity Prevention found in 2017 that 56% of dogs in the U.S. were overweight. This holiday is meant to encourage regular exercise and dog weight loss if necessary.
Dog Training Education Month
This holiday is similar to January’s dog training initiative, but it also focuses on teaching people how to train a canine correctly. It can be hard work to train a dog properly, and Dog Training Education Month reminds people that all that effort is worth it!
Spay/Neuter Awareness Month
Spay/Neuter Awareness Month was set in February by the Humane Society to “encourage pet owners to spay and neuter their animals before the spring and summer months when litters are at their highest.”
Pet Dental Health Month
Take care of your pet’s teeth and gums so that they don’t have any pain or discomfort while chewing food.
Responsible Pet Owners Month
February may be the month of love, but it’s not limited to Valentine’s Day. The best way to show your pet you love them is by being a responsible owner.
Poison Prevention Awareness Month
In 1961, Poison Prevention Week was established to raise public awareness about the dangers surrounding household poisonous substances.
The holiday has gone from a week-long to what it is today: Poison Prevention Awareness Month. Being aware of the chemicals and plants that are fatal to our pets is crucial to their well-being.
Canine Fitness Month
Physical activity is crucial to a dog’s overall mental and physical well-being, and Canine Fitness Month is all about getting dogs outside and moving.
Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs Month
Prevent Lyme Disease in Dogs Month brings awareness to the seasonal emergence of deer ticks that can often carry Lyme disease. To prevent Lyme disease in your dog, use a tick preventer, avoid long grass, and perform daily tick checks on your dog.
National Pet First Aid Awareness Month
We hope that no pet ever needs first aid. If yours does, having a first aid plan makes caring for the animal far easier.
Chip Your Pet Month
Similar to National Lost Pet Prevention Month in July, this April awareness holiday encourages putting a microchip in your pets so you can easily find them.
National Pet Month
Love pets? In May, National Pet Month lets us celebrate all that our furry friends do for us.
National Pet Preparedness Month
National Pet Preparedness Month is a reminder to pet owners to review their family emergency plan and make sure it includes their pets.
When disaster strikes, we want to be sure that our pets’ carriers are ready to go, our food reserves account for an extra mouth, and we have a plan for either getting the dog out of the house or keeping it calm and safe inside.
Dog House Repair Month
While most dogs shouldn’t sleep outside, having a dog house in your yard is the perfect way to provide an oasis of shade and privacy for your pup while you’re both outdoors. Dog House Repair Month is a great time to build or improve dog houses to keep canines healthy, cool, and happy.
National Lost Pet Prevention Month
10 million pets go missing every year, and this holiday aims to reduce that number as much as possible.
Pet Hydration Awareness Month
The July heat can be suffocating, so be sure your pooch has plenty to drink.
National Immunization Awareness Month
Just like humans, dogs greatly benefit from immunization shots. It can be the difference between life and death, so recognize National Immunization Awareness Month by keeping your pet’s shots up-to-date!
Responsible Dog Ownership Month
September is Responsible Dog Ownership Month – a time for dog owners to evaluate and improve their overall dog-care routines. The American Kennel Club (AKC) suggests many ways you can observe this holiday, including exercise, socialization, and emergency preparedness.
Pet Sitter Education Month
During Pet Sitter Education Month, owners show love to professional pet sitters’ commitment and ensuring they are well-educated.
National Pet Insurance Month
Unexpected veterinary bills are never fun, and National Pet Insurance Month stresses the importance of an insurance plan that includes animals.
Animal Pain Awareness Month
September is also a time to spread awareness about pet discomforts such as swelling joints, breathing issues, and obesity.
National Pet Wellness Month
October is National Pet Wellness Month — 31 days where people focus on their pets’ overall well-being. Pet owners can use this month to schedule regular vet appointments, improve their pet’s hygiene, and implement daily exercise routines. This holiday is a great opportunity to surprise your pet with fancy snacks like CBD dog treats that improve their overall wellness.
National Pit Bull Awareness Month
National Pit Bull Awareness Month is all about showing some love for the spunky and sometimes misunderstood Pit Bull breed. Sadly, Pit Bulls often get a bad rap, and many people assume they’re dangerous or aggressive. In reality, Pit Bulls are sweet, silly, lovable dogs, and this holiday showcases those qualities.
Animal Safety and Protection Month
In October, celebrate Animal Safety and Protection Month to spread awareness of the responsibility that caring for a pet requires.
National Senior Pet Month
Everybody loves puppies and kittens, but National Senior Pet Month reminds us that there are plenty of elderly pets in need of a home!
Week-Long Pet Holidays
4/1 – 4/7 – International Pooper Scooper Week
We’re sure you’re a good pet owner who picks up after their animal, but not everyone is so responsible. During International Pooper Scooper Week, remind others to toss their pet’s leavings so that others don’t have to!
4/11 – 4/17 – National Dog Bite Prevention Week
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), this week is meant to educate people on preventing dog biting. The AVMA offers helpful resources on dog bite prevention, including training tactics to implement during puppyhood.
4/17 – 4/23 – National Pet ID Week
National Pet ID Week is all about tags. Whichever animal you own, some sort of identification is crucial for getting lost pets home.
5/3 – 5/8 – Puppy Mill Action Week
Puppy Mill Action Week is observed the week before Mother’s Day, which is fitting because it’s the mother dogs who suffer most at puppy mills. Female breeding dogs at puppy mills are consistently forced to become pregnant and birth litter after litter of puppies, damaging their bodies over time.
This week reminds us that there are millions of dogs in need of adoption. They’re as excited to find a loving home as you are to meet your new furry friend!
8/1 – 8/7 – International Assistance Dog Week
The first week of August is all about honoring the arduous work of assistance dogs around the world. According to the holiday’s official website, International Assistance Dog Week aims to recognize assistance dogs and their trainers. Without these people and their tail-wagging students, we wouldn’t have the benefit of their heroic community work.
One-Day Pet Holidays
3/3 – National Specially Abled Pets Day
All specially-abled pets deserve love, and May 3rd raises awareness specifically about disabled dogs that still need a home.
3/11 – National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day
National Animal Disaster Preparedness Day reminds us to include our pets in emergency plans.
3/14 – International Chihuahua Appreciation Day
Need we say more?
3/23 – National Puppy Day
Besides being a celebration of puppies’ overwhelming cuteness, National Puppy Day brings awareness to the number of dogs needing adoption from shelters. It’s also meant to discourage people from supporting puppy mills. Adopt, don’t shop!
4/8 – National Dog Fighting Awareness Day
Founded by the ASPCA, National Dog Fighting Awareness Day aims to spread the word about “breaking the chain” of illegal dog fighting in America. Dog fighting is a cruel form of abuse that thousands of dogs are illegally subjected to every day.
If you’d like to stand up against dog fighting, the ASPCA lists several ways you can help.
7/11 – American Pet Photo Day
If you’ve got a pet, odds are you’ve also got a camera roll full of adorable pet photos. On American Pet Photo Day, be sure to share those pics with everyone!
7/15 – National Pet Fire Safety Day
Kennel Club and ADT Security founded this holiday for National Pet Fire Safety in 2009 to remind owners that fire safety is just as important for dogs as it is for us. Make a fire plan with your dog today!
9/12 – National Hug Your Hound Day
National Hug Your Hound Day is a day encouraging people to take a moment, slow down, and hug their dogs. The best way to take advantage of this day and spread the love is by sharing photos of time spent playing and cuddling with your pooches.
9/18 – Puppy Mill Awareness Day
Puppy Mill Awareness Day is the third Saturday of each September. It’s a day for spreading awareness about the cruelty and neglect that dogs in puppy mills go through, often for most of their lives. Join the ASPCA in spreading awareness about puppy mills and promoting adoption.
10/1 – National Fire Pup Day
National Fire Pup Day is a holiday honoring the bravery and service of dogs who work alongside firefighters. Dalmations were the first breed to become fire dogs in the 1800s, but since then, all sorts of breeds have joined various fire-fighting crews.
10/1 – National Black Dog Day
Black Dog Syndrome is a phenomenon in which people adopt fewer black dogs from shelters than their lighter-coated companions. Some people say it’s because they look more aggressive, and others say they don’t look as good in photos. National Black Dog day reminds us that every dog is beautiful and worthy of love and adoption!
10/14 – Pet Obesity Awareness Day
Over 50% of both cats and dogs are obese, and Pet Obesity Awareness Day encourages exercise and healthy eating habits.
Ways to Celebrate Dog Holidays
There are many fantastic ways to celebrate the various dog holidays listed above. From hugging your hound to improving your pet’s wellness routine to respecting service dogs, you can show your appreciation for canines with small gestures throughout your day, every day.
The most impactful way to honor a dog holiday is to go out and adopt a dog in need. If you’re able, please consider saving a dog or two from a life of isolation. If you’re unable to take a dog in, you can still show your appreciation for canines by volunteering at shelters or donating to them!
Final Thoughts – Dog Holidays
While we celebrate our furry friends every day, these dog holidays are adorable, informational ways to raise awareness and show our pups some extra love. From the silly ones like Take Your Dog to Work Day to the serious ones like Pet Fire Safety Day, we have plenty of opportunities to celebrate dogs!